Recently, the Government has announced a life certificate facility via post office at your doorstep, and it can be availed at Rs 70.
However, if you want to avail of the facility via an app, then the process is still more straightforward, and even a person who is not tech-savvy can do it.
- You need to buy a biometric device listed on their website as the app works with only a few compatible devices like Mantra. It will cost you around 1500 to 1800 Rs. (Note: Many senior citizens are facing a problem with a fingerprint scanner. In that case, it would be advisable to buy an iris scanner which costs around Rs.5000.)
- Download the client service for your biometric device from the app store.
- Connect your device to the phone or laptop via USB.
- Test the scanner to check if it works properly or not.
- Now once you are done with step 4, visit jeevanpramaan.gov.in and download their app. This app is available on their site only. I couldn’t find it in the playstore.
- Open the app with your biometric device connected to the phone or laptop. If you don’t connect your device, then the app will show errors and will not work.
- Now register as an operator by providing Aadhaar, mobile, and email. Enter the OTP and submit.
- Authenticate yourself on the biometric device.
- You will have to provide the Aadhaar, mobile, and email of the pensioner and enter OTP authentication.
- If you had already submitted a digital certificate earlier then you will see a prepopulated form. If not, then enter pensioner’s details like pension type, department, disbursing authority, bank name, etc. and then submit it.
- Now the pensioner will have to authenticate via the biometric device.
- Once the biometric is successful, you will see his or her photo with Jeevan Pramaan id. This is the digital copy of the life certificate. You can download it anytime from their website as well.
- The bank or disbursing authority will verify your certificate and send you an acknowledgment in 3 to 5 days.
You will receive an SMS after successful verification is done. You have to be patient as sometimes the fingerprint isn’t captured due to old age or other reasons.